By Alicia KellebrewAlicia Kellebrew
NFCC Certified Financial Professional
The Village Financial Resource Center
I don’t know about everyone else, but, lately, I find myself suffering from a severe case of spring fever. It doesn’t help that our temperatures bounce around from 60 or 70 degrees one day back down to 30 to 40 the next. This is usually where people remind me “We DO live in North Dakota. If you don’t like the weather, just give it a day and we’ll be on to something else.” So here are some cost-effective ways we can deal with our spring fever until the nicer weather rolls in and decides to stay.
- Bring some of the outdoors indoors. This could be in the form of a new floral arrangement, whether that is a cut floral arrangement or potted plant – real or artificial. This will give your workspace or home an added pop of color. Plants can be expensive, but they don’t have to be, and it’s an investment that you can enjoy for years to come.
- Find a way to work a little more sunshine and/or fresh air into your day. Whether this is taking a short walk outside or just opening up your blinds or windows to let some sunshine and fresh air into your space. Sunshine and fresh air are still free!
- Do a little something extra nice for yourself. We all can fall into a funk and sometimes need a boost. Maybe you decide to allow yourself a small treat like your favorite dessert or the new book you have been eyeing.
- Do a little something extra nice for someone else. This can be in the form of dropping off a small surprise at their workplace, cooking their favorite meal, or maybe even a random act of kindness for a stranger. There are tons of simple inexpensive ways to help yourself by helping others.
- Change up your look a little. This can be as simple as a new accessory or something more daring like a new hairstyle or color – of course while being on the lookout for a deal! It might even be as simple as changing the way you wear an article of clothing that you already own.
- Stay in shape. Pay special attention to the things that you need to do in order to stay healthy, including getting enough rest (which is free), staying hydrated (water is cheap), eating a well-balanced diet (don’t think you have to spend a ton to eat health), and getting regular exercise (lots of free options here!). If your body is in good shape, it will help you feel on the top of your game.
- Make time for activities that you enjoy including socializing with family or friends or finding time to pursue your hobbies.
- Remember that winter won’t last forever and that spring and summer are just around the corner. Positive thinking can do a long way to boost our spirits.
Bottom Line: Spring fever can be a real issue this time of year with all the weather fluctuations. There are simple things that we can do to boost our moods without spending a lot of money. Better weather is just around the corner!